Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11









It's not a day any American who was alive in 2001 will ever forget. I spent this anniversary like a lot people, remembering what I was doing that day (not much, except watching TV) and praying for the survivors and for our country. I also spent some time doing what I have done during good times and bad since I became a quilter in 2000, piecing a quilt.








I am sure you have heard about the horrific wildfires that have plagued Central Texas over the last week. We live in one of the affected areas, although we were personally very blessed to be spared. About 7000 acres and over 30 homes in our area have burned since last Sunday and although the fire is 100% contained, 50-60 firefighters are still working round the clock to keep it that way. A neighborhood just north of my SIL's subdivision also burned with over 20 houses lost. The largest fire is east of Austin in the community of Bastrop and is less than 50% contained a week later. It is over 50 square miles in size. Hundreds of homes have been lost and now at least two lives that they know of.



I got a message on Facebook a few days ago about a local quilt group that is trying to get enough quilts donated to give one to every child whose home has been lost in the fire. The estimate I heard from one local quilt shop owner is over 1000 quilts are needed. So with a very valid reason to start yet another project, I dove into my stash and came up with enough FQs to make this boy's quilt. It's a variation of good old Turning Twenty called Around the Block. I also quilted up a girlie scrap quilt top that I had made last year. I am hoping to get them both to a drop off point by the end of the week.




So, on this solemn anniversary, I helped myself with some fabric therapy and hopefully someone else, as well. I've said it before and I'll say it again and again, God bless America, today and everyday!

1 comment: