Monday, November 22, 2010

Cornbread Dressing

I thought I would share some of the dishes that I will be making for our holiday gatherings. This is my version of Cornbread Dressing. It is not exact, everything should be to your taste.

Chop 1 large yellow onion, about 1 cup of celery ( I use the leafy ends, as they have more flavor) and 1 large peeled Granny Smith apple. Sweat these in a stick of melted butter in a skillet. Meanwhile, brown some sausage of your choice, I use Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sausage, and drain the drippings. In a large bowl combine the onions, celery, apples, and the sausage. I add 1 bag of prepared stuffing mix, Pepperidge Farm or comparable and one 9 x 13 pan of cornbread that I have prepared earlier in the week and crumbled. Stir all this together and add 2 cans of chicken broth. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt, pepper, sage, thyme or other herbs of your choice. I had Italian Flat Leaf Parsley, so I chopped some and added it. When it is to your taste, add 2 eggs and mix thoroughly. Pour into a greased casserole and bake covered at 350 for 30 minutes then uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes.

In the rush to get everything and everybody to the table, I didn't get a photo of the baked dressing. However I did get a pic before it was completely gone!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Gretchen. I am posting your pumpkin muffin recipe and a link to your blog on my Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, this week. I didn't think you would mind. :-)

    ReplyDelete