Monday, November 9, 2009

Dust Off That Crock Pot!

I recently found this great recipe in the October issue of Southern Living magazine. I have already made it once and I plan to do it again today.

Slow Cooker Turkey Chili

1 1/4 lb. ground turkey
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (1.25 oz.) envelope chili seasoning
1 (12 oz.) can beer
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (15oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
3/4 tsp salt

Cook first 4 ingredients in a large skillet until turkey crumbles and is no longer pink. Stir in beer and cook, stirring occassionaly , 2 minutes. Spoon mixture into 5 1/2 quart slow cooker; stir in corn and next 6 ingredients until well blended. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.

I used Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes and added 1 TBSP cumin, 1 tsp oregano and 1 TBSP sugar to the mixture. To serve, I put shredded lettuce, diced red onion, avocado and grated cheddar cheese on top of the chili in the bowl. Be sure to have your favorite tortilla chips for dipping! YUM!

After eating this meal, you will not feel like washing dishes! To make cleanup a snap, I like to use the Reynold's Slow Cooker Liners. A cooking bag for the Crock Pot, they can be removed after use and thrown away. Bubble bath, here I come!

I found the neatest item at HEB today. It is made by Libby's and it is a boxed set of pumpkin bread mixes. For $4.99, you get most of the ingredients to make 2 loaves of pumpkin bread, including packets of vanilla frosting drizzle. I am going to make mine in the small, disposable aluminum pans to give away as gifts this holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment